Click above to order hard copy from WHO press
This World Health Organization report, published July 16, 2009, verifies that which suffering millions and The Center for School Mold Help have been reporting, which the United States Centers for Disease Control, health departments, and most US physicians have downplayed and denied - that mold and dampness cause serious health problems, including respiratory and immunological. The WHO emphasizes that mold should be avoided as a major health risk, explains how to prevent and address indoor mold, and points out that building owners have the responsibility to provide healthy indoor air. This document will begin the changes needed to rescue the world population from the devastating impact of indoor mold (mould) and dampness, especially within our schools and homes. We salute the World Health Organization for its accomplishment in producing this groundbreaking report and expect that the United States Centers for Disease Control will quickly follow with a position on mold and dampness, in step with the WHO. There is no more doubt - mold and dampness harms and can kill. We cannot tolerate this in our schools and buildings. (SMH)
"The authors conclude that occupants of damp or mouldy buildings, both private and public, have up to a 75% greater risk of respiratory symptoms and asthma. The guidelines recommend the prevention or remediation of dampness- and mould-related problems to significantly reduce harm to health...In damp conditions, hundreds of species of bacteria and fungi grow indoors and emit spores, cell fragments and chemicals into the air. Exposure to these contaminants is associated with the incidence or worsening of respiratory symptoms, allergies, asthma and immunological reactions. Children are particularly susceptible. " (WHO Press Release, 7/16/09)
READ the press release and link to full report, below.